Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How did WE get here?

How did Brian and I come to meet and marry? How many of you really know? This weeks blog is all about the past. I will give you the jist of when, where, why and how's.

PRE Brian and Linda
Remember back to 2004, where were you? Well, I was living in Portland with the Vollum family. I had recently left my job as a copier sales rep and had become "House Manager" for the Vollum Family. The Vollum family is related by marriage to the Henkel family (this comes in to play later.) Brian was working in Las Vegas as a school teacher. FYI, Brian's Dad's brother, is Craig Henkel. Is it coming together now?

Well back in August 2004, I went to a wedding with the Vollums, in Big Sky, Montana. Brynn Henkel was getting married. I knew this family since Brynn's sister, Jill, played basketball with me on the Lady Griz! Also, I proceeded Brynn as "House Manager" at the Vollums as well. Since the Jacobson's and Henkel's were related this is how things got interesting. I was helping the Brides family round up the different relatives for family photos before the wedding. I was told to get the Jacobson family. Ok. So I went to find the Jacobson family. Out comes Brian (wow), Max (younger brother, my age), Gary (dad) and Mary Kay (a.k.a Sarge). Mary Kay was the last to come out the door so I gave her swift slap on the ass and said "Hussle up little lady." Little did she know she was going to be getting that alot from that day forward. I met Brian later that evening at the reception. I was getting harassed by some very small adult men and Brian was double fisting Jack and Cokes. We met, mingled, danced and have been together pretty much from that evening. Great news, this is all on video. Brynn's younger brothers took it upon themselves to video tape their oldest cousin throughout the evening.

Here is a photo of Bri and I on one of our dates. About a month after I met him, I got offered a position in Missoula, which I took. We would take turns traveling to see one another. Long distance latest 9 months. I woke up one day, and called Brian and said "I want to move to Vegas." Labor Day weekend 2005, we packed me up and we headed out.


Engagement: Chicago Style
Brian and I got engaged December 26, 2006 in Chicago. His proposal blew my socks off. Chicago was were the entire family was celebrating the holidays. My oldest sister, Karen, had been working with Brian for over a few months on this proposal which included, shipping of a fine china plate, different trips for Brian around Vegas trying to find paint that would not be harmful to digest, shipping of the ring to Chicago (without me finding out about and freaking out). Side note, the ring is a one of a kind, designed by us, so I had known things were moving that direction. I also, knew where the ring was in the house. I would periodically try it on. One day I went to try it on and there was a note in the box that said "your lump of coal is safe." Do you know how many days I tried to find that damn thing in the house?

Well the evening of December 26th, we had my entire family around the table, plus a long time friend of my younger sister. Spaghetti was for dinner and Darren, Brother-in-law and Brian were serving everyone. FYI, Karen made some of the best appetizers, which I seamlessly devoured before dinner. Not good, if you wanted to then have a plate filled with spaghetti. Brian handed my plate to me, which was piled high! I already let him know I my belly was full. I tried and tried to eat all I could. Brian got up to get something so I switched plates with him, since he was doing much better than I. He comes back and notices and switches back. He then says, just push it to one side so it looks like you ate more. So I push and this is what I found.

Under all the yummyness was his proposal. I just about died right there. He then gets up in front of my entire family and proposes. Do I remember all he said, nope? But coming from Brian I am sure it was amazing.

Another note, my mom had no idea, so she was as shocked as I was. Also, Brian wanted to get permission from my dad and there was very few moments to do this. A few evening before, Brian pulled my dad into the back hallway. Needing to whisper since I was in the other room, Brian proceeds to ask my dad for permission to marry me. Dad responds, after many "huhs" (hard of hearing in one ear) "Oh, well I had someone else in mind." Brian responds by looking around and then saying "Well, I don't see him here, so I guess I will marry her." The photo below is one of the many shots we took the morning of the 26th. We had family photos done and we got to get some of just us. We used a few as our engagement photo. This is one of my favorites. I hope Brian agrees.



THE WEDDING!!!!
Have you ever been to a wedding where you just did not want to leave? Did you make it to ours? Our wedding was the perfectly, blissful, energetic and most wonderful day ever. Why, because we had our family and very close friends there. Plus Brian and I made a pact, that a week before the wedding, we would stop caring what happened that week, and at the wedding. We went with the flow and the flow was amazing.

Our wedding was at Silverstone Country Club. It consisted of 85 people coming to watch Bri and get married on September 28, 2007. The ceremony was perfect and the celebrating afterwards entailed a special dance by Chuck Sloan and Max Jacobson (The DJ had thought there were a ton of people wearing blue Elvis glasses. Really there was just a pair that everyone was sharing)

The DJ called "everyone who is wearing the blue Elvis glasses come on out and dance." Well that was just Chuck and Max at the time. Pretty funny to see them out there doing the snake and whatever else they called dance moves. Bri and I did a surprise first dance (check the link to the right "linkable websites section) The photo below is our main entry. We had the DJ introduce our wedding party like they were the starting lineup to a basketball game. Harlem Globetrotter theme song playing in the background.


The evening had Cupcakes from the Cupcakery, oh and let us not forget the mini sparkler bomb that went off when Brian and I were preparing to leave. I guess the bus driver got a little shaken up. Oh good times.




History
Brian is from Hamilton, Montana and I am from Billings, MT. We have spent many days heading back to our homes over the past years. Here are just a few shots from some of our trips.






New Years 2007! Thought we would put on a few hats and see if it changed out looks. We spent this evening with my dear friend Cheryl, who is also a teammate of mine. She and her husband and baby girl Addeyson, live here in Vegas.


Another history lesson which leads up to the present. What will the Bump look like? Well here are some past photos of Brian and I growing up. I am sure you can get a good visual after viewing these.

7th grade perm and glasses which could help me see for miles. I love to clean, I wonder which trait the Bump will get?


Brian and his dashing sense of style and adorable face.

Will the Bump love animals as much as Brian and I? He is going to have learn quick with Gus and Fritz around.


Seriously, the Bump better get Brian's good looks.

My looks seemed to progress over the years and so did my teeth.


I wonder if the Bump will get the Weyler muscle body? My rolls seemed to progress to just a lot of mass.

Here I am leaned out, next to the fireplace where my coordination, or lack there of, got the best of me and I lost a tooth. Will the Bump get my coordination or Brian's?


Little Brian, I think around 2 years old. Will the Bump like the outdoors as much as Brian and I?

Love,
Brian, Linda, Gus, Fritz and the Bump (39 Weeks as of June 25)

1 comment:

Parish & Becca said...

How cute! I loved reading that, it was fun to know a little bit more about you!