Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hey Pop...It's your Day

Tis Father's Day today. As you know I have a father and I love him very much. His name is Hilmer, yes Hilmer. If you prefer you can call him Joe. My Dad is one tough dude. Army Ranger, farmer, athlete (boxer, football star), cook/chef/baker and handyman. Shake his hand and just know that you might have to ice it afterwards (wonder where I got my handshake from?)

Growing up
We lived outside a small town (10 miles). I remember going with my 3 other siblings to visit my Dad while he was working. His office was a cab of John Deere tractor. Sometimes Dad would let one of us help him steer the tractor. I would stand on the floor and proceed to help Dad stay in the line. Wonder why my first job out of college was working for a fruit and veggie farm and I got to drive a tractor!

Later on
We moved to a larger "city" in Montana. We were all much older now but he was sooo good at having family meetings once a month to discuss our chores. I got really good at cleaning the wood molding around the house, dusting, and edging the grass in our front yard. I thank him for instilling that there is NOTHING wrong with getting dirty and having chores.

My Dad
is one tough man. I remember coming home from college and we started our "jarring" around. He taught me it is all in the hips with boxing. Kinda wish I did more with that sport. I think I could of done some things with his coaching. Anyways, we got a little crazy and Dad lifted me up (I am 18+ years old) above his head. Seriously, you don't mess with him.

Sense of Humor
Great story. My younger sister was in elementary school. We got a home made breakfast every morning when we lived at home. No making anything out of a box. My Dad made hasbrowns one morning and told us that they were "mouse tails." Younger sister went to school and told the teacher she had mouse tails for breakfast. Dad got a call from the principal later that day.

Boys
learned not to mess with him too. My Dad was known to have a shot gun handy whenever we had a boy over to visit in High School. He was known for it becuase HE DID have a shot gun handy, not loaded but it was in plain site.

You want a good meal? 
Head on over to our house. Ever had the our families buttermilk pancakes? Well you best find one of us and try them. Best in the world. Want some Sushi? Dad will make you up some and you thought you went out to eat a nice Sushi restuarant. How about some homemade bagels? Just saying you will not be sorry when you are over at our house for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

My Father 
is the one that would pull up on the side of the road, if he saw you stranded. That is actually how he met my Husbands family (way before I met Brian). Got a broken vehicle, a patio that needs fixing, a house which needs some repairs, call my Dad. He can fix anything.

Here are just some photos of my Dad, going way back to just last year. Enjoy. Happy Father's Day ,Dad. I always learn from you, even when you are not around. Miss you and hope to see you soon.

Dad and a John Deere...it just fits

Sam and his Grandpa Joe

The Marine and the Army Ranger

Laughing cuz my Dad says "What I wouldn't give to have a shot gun right now", looking at Brian...



Grandpa and my nephew DJ, during our rehearsal dinner 2007


Me and Dad, I was about a year old


Just doing what he does, cooking up some delicous grub at his mothers 90th bday bash


I am sure whatever I am eating, it was good.

Dad makes friends everywhere

Dad on his wedding day.

My brother and Dad. Do they look at all alike?

Last year before Sam was born.

First time Dad met Sam.




Building us some more storage for our garage. Thanks Dad















Dad, I am blessed to have you as my Father. Happy Father's Day from Red.

2 comments:

Wood Cutters said...

Great tribute to your dad, Linda.
I loved all of the pictures!!! I'm sure he is blessed!!! Good job!!
Tina

Anonymous said...

Heartwarming. I was your Dad's radio operator in Vietnam and Cambodia. We made Combat Assaults into jungle crawling with enemy and were always on the first chopper to hit the landing zone. There wasnt one of us who doubted his training and experience. He was a towering figure and an amazing leader.